tablet optimized version???

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: tablet optimized version???

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:12 am

We are fully committed to supporting iScore Baseball on Android, and as noted, the Tablet specific layout is high on the Android priority list, and it looks like some great new tablets are coming out. We already like the Samsung Galaxy tab (original one.. the 10 inch looks to be great as well) and also the Motorola Xoom.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
lcboley

Post by lcboley » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Every time my Android Market shows I have updates on my Xoom I think could today be the day that iScore updates to the same version as iPad?

Come on iScore, dont make us wait until Spring. Some of us are in the middle of tournaments now!
boardshorts

Post by boardshorts » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:01 pm

lcboley wrote:
Camerabry wrote:Spend more time on the iOs version. Eventually the android owners will be buying iPads anyway. ;)
Uhmmm... Camerabry, this is one Android owner that will not switch to an iPad. I like Android because it gives me choices. Unlike you I dont believe there is one solution in the tablet world. iOs gets the vast majority of development time right now as it should having the largest market of tablets currently. This too shall pass though.

Sometimes Android developers need a nudge...

Hey iScore don't forget there is a fall season also!
+1 I like Android because it gives me choices.
+1 Hey iScore don't forget there is a fall season also! and it is still Spring down under. Our season is just starting. Happy to be a tester.
ggora

Post by ggora » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:14 pm

Same hear. Travel Softball all year long. Can't wait to get the feature set on my Galaxy 10 that exists on the iPad.
ggora

Post by ggora » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:18 pm

Camerabry wrote:Spend more time on the iOs version. Eventually the android owners will be buying iPads anyway. ;)

Yea, sorry not going to happen. Android is an open platform, I can do what ever I want with my Android based devices. Not locked into a proprietary device.

:)
fin

Post by fin » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:14 am

It's been a month since anyone posted on this topic. Debating today between the Ipad 2 and the Galaxy 10.1 tablet. Would prefer the Galaxy, as long as iscore will be up and running for the tablet by early March, if not before. Is there any guarantee this will happen, just looking for an update.

Thanks,
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:19 am

I would be SHOCKED if FTM will respond with any definitive promise or guarantee.... It has just not been their operating practice to date. They want to only announce when they submit for approval (to apple or google).

that said, remember the Android phone version is available now and it does run as i understand it on the android tablets - just without the tablet specific space usage (multiple screens on one page, landscape mode, skins etc. ) but otherwise the program has the same baseball functionality needed to score games and manage stats. Plus when the android tablet version does finally come out, FTM previously said it will be a universal app, (unlike the iOS version) so owners of Android phone version will get the upgrade w/ tablet optimization through marketplace for free when available.

also, on a side note, I see a number of people on this forum talking about the buying decision... android tablet or iPad2 and wonder what are the driving factor(s) behind your ultimate decisions? My guess is probably first cost, but am curious if anyone wants to elaborate on other reasons and or priorities ...
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:27 am

We have tried all the mainstream tablets, and the iPad is still by far the best tablet available. It seems people not buying an iPad fall into two camps:

1. Those that just dislike Apple. There is nothing that can be done to change their mind. Despite Apple having the best available tablet product, some people just do not like Apple for whatever reason. We see that as their loss, and it is unfortunate that people would take a stand like this instead of evaluating the products themselves. When someone starts say "Apple does this or that which I don't like and therefore I won't buy an Apple product", they have made a choice that has nothing to do with the technology, and there is no argument that can be made.

2. Those that are looking to save money. This is understandable as the iPads are not cheap. Keep in mind however that the devices that come even close to the iPad functionality are not cutting costs by much (if at all). The Motorola Xoom, the Samsung 10.1, Toshiba Thrive, Sony Tablet S, etc are all decent tablets. But they are essentially the same price as the iPad. If you are looking at off-brand tablets (Asus, Coby, Archos, etc), you are buying highly inferior products that in many cases are not even approved by Google to run the Android Marketplace. People have hacks available to put the Android Marketplace on some of these devices, but they will always be problematic and underpowered, or they would have had Android Marketplace to begin with. There are at least 3 notable exceptions where an Android device can be very nice and a good price... the Samsung Galaxy Tab (7"), the Kindle Fire (has some shortcomings, but Amazon is selling basically at cost), and the Nook Color (we have had reports that people have been able to install and run the Android Market, and thus iScore, pretty satisfactorily on the Nook Color... though we have not done it ourselves). All three of these devices are not the full 10" tablets (and therefore will not have the extra iScore items on the screen that the iPad has, and the updated Android version will have), but they make great scoring devices, and are great devices in general.

Very recent reports also indicate the explosion of growth in the tablet market, and the iPad is going to account for 75%+ of that market according to all analysts research. That means that the rest of the tablets are going to share 25% of the market, meaning any one device is going to be a fraction of that. This fragmentation is a serious problem for the Android OS as it is difficult for developers to optimize applications across the variety of devices available, and many times will be forced to develop to the "lowest common denominator" of device in order to have the broadest compatibility.

That being said, the Android universe continues to evolve, and we are committed to providing the best experience we can on all platforms we support (currently iOS and Android). We constantly re-evaluate where to spend our resources based on all data that comes our way (the iScore community, industry analysts, our own sales data and reports of others sales data on particular platforms, where we see the industry heading, etc).

We are not looking to get into the "religious battle" of Apple iOS vs Android OS as it does not serve a purpose.

We ARE looking to support our customers and make our products the best they can be, so please continue letting us know what we get right or wrong so we can continue enhancing iScore.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
pcdirector

Post by pcdirector » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:23 pm

Does the current tablet version for the Android take up all the screen real estate like the iPad does? Or does it stay "phone sized" ? I am looking for a "bigger screen size" that isn't fuzzy on an Android device, I don't really care if we can do multipages or landscape mode....I can barely keep up with game movement as it is !!

Thanks! LOVE the App, no matter what the platform !! (I am however, firmly in Camp 2 of the iPad/Android battle noted above.)

-k-
cj47

Post by cj47 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:42 pm

On the Toshiba Thrive, the app takes up the whole 10" screen in portrait mode. It's pin-sharp, with the diamond taking up about half the screen. Buttons are large and easy to use. It works great and looks good - it just lacks the extra detail on the main scoring screen that the iPad version does. I'm very much looking forward to the Android upgrade though.

PS - I love my Thrive, which I chose primarily because of its array of ports, USB slots, SD card slots, replaceable battery, etc.

Chris