Options on who should have gotten the error if anyone......

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
uskiwiman

Options on who should have gotten the error if anyone......

Post by uskiwiman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:40 am

I've got 2 situations that I would like an opinion on

1. Situation is, a batter hits a popup a few feet in front of home plate towards 3rd base, the 3rd basemen should have been able to catch the fly ball, but the catcher came out to catch it as well. It ended up that the ball hit the catchers glove and fell out allowing the running to advance to 1st base.

Question is, who should get the error, 3rd, Catcher, both or neither.

I had assigned to the error to the Catcher as she was under the ball, the ball hit the pocket of her glove and fell out.

2. Situation is, ball is grounded down the 1st base line. the 1st basement comes down to get the ball, turns to throw back to the bag, but the 2nd basement is not there. As the running is approaching, the 1st basement runs back to the bag, but the runner passes the 1st basement and gets to the bag just before they could touch it.

So, does the 1st basement get the error, 2nd or both. I assigned it to the 1st basement as I thought she should have tagged the player as they past and should could have done that.

I would appreciate the options of those more experienced that I as recording errors is something I'm a little new at doing and I don't want to get grief from folks.

Thank you
CSThunderCoach

Re: Options on who should have gotten the error if anyone......

Post by CSThunderCoach » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:55 am

The assignment of errors is at the discretion of the official scorer. Based on the information you provided I would have scored the first play as you did.

Errors are either Catching, Throwing, or Receiving. You really can't assign an error on a mental mistake (ie. 2nd not covering the bag.)
NCAA Rule 14.22.2 (No Error is Charged when...)
When there is a mental mistake. Throwing to the wrong base is considered a mental mistake.

In scenario 1, if the catcher calls off 3rd and then drops the ball, it doesn't really matter who COULD have caught the ball. The catcher made the attempt and the ball was in the pocket of the glove. E2.

In scenario 2:
NCAA Rule 14.21.3 - An error shall be charged against any fielder when she catches a thrown ball or fields a ground ball in time to put out any runner on a force play and fails to tag the base or the runner, including a batter-runner on a play at first base.
This comes down to a judgement call. If you feel the fielder could have tagged the runner - E3.

NCAA Rule 14 Reference: http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/St ... manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: You can only assign 1 error for each of these plays. You cannot assign an error to more than 1 player unless more than 1 error occurs that permits a runner to continue to advance. ie. Overthrow at 1st allows the runner to advance to 2nd, if the runner continues to 3rd and the throw there goes out of play and permits the runner to advance home there are 2 errors there. 1 on throw to 1st, 1 on throw to 3rd.
don.english

Post by don.english » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:27 am

I totally agree with CSThunderCoach.

Great response!
uskiwiman

Post by uskiwiman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:44 pm

Just wanted to say thank you for the great explanation. I've been a bit uneasy doing the errors as I didn't think I was getting it right and this has been a good place to confirm with an unbiased option that I think I have it right. Boosts the confidence a little. Thanks

I thought I had it right on the catcher 3rd situation, but I had a few question it.

just for the record. Neither player call the other off in scenario 1, but 3rd did back off after she thought the catcher was getting it.

and for scenario 2 I gave the error to 1st as the batter-running was within arm distance from her.
CSThunderCoach

Post by CSThunderCoach » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:02 pm

Here is a twist for you:
In scenario 1 - what if neither player makes a play on the ball (because they thought to other person would catch it) and it lands in fair territory and the batter-runner makes it to first. Is there an error?

Rule 14.3.13 states that the batter-runner should get credit for the hit:
"If the ball is not touched because of confusion as to who should have fielded it."

In Scenario 2 - you could have awared a hit under Rule 14.3.11:
"When no one covers the base or a fielder is late in covering the base." - Rules like this (and 14.21.3) is what makes score keeping so much fun. :)

Section 3 has a note that might get you out of, or into, discussions in the future:
"Note: Always give the batter the benefit of the doubt and score a hit when exceptionally good fielding fails to result in a putout. When in doubt, scoring should always award base hits instead of charging errors."
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:55 pm

I would agree with the consensus on situation 1. The catcher gets the error.

In situation 2, I would have to be there, but if 1B did not even make a move towards the batter, then I would probably go with a hit since there is no physical misplay.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs