Little League rule 3.17

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
napes65

Little League rule 3.17

Post by napes65 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Had a district umpire kick my ipod out of dugout, citing "No electronics in the dugout or on the field". I quickly tried to show him program and convey to him that it was not a phone and was being used strictly to score game. This was between innings and really wasn't enough time so I obeyed and handed it out to the stands. Rule 3.17 states "The use of electronic equipment during the game is restricted. No team shall use electronic equipment, including walkie-talkies, cellular telephones, etc., for any communication with on-field personnel including those in the dugout, bullpen or field." Note, it does not say "prohibited", just "restricted". I am posting this to alert all that if you wish to use this awesome tool in the dugout, the best way is to inform umpire of your device and what it is being used for. Those of you using an iPhone may come across an ump who says no, but after talking to several other umpires I believe the iPod does not violate this rule. LL needs to join the 21st century. Anyone else out there come across this? Just FYI, cell phones on the field by coached has been a HOT topic in this area among umpires and so they are a little more vigilant right now.
sklamert

Re: Little League rule 3.17

Post by sklamert » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:57 pm

Your defense was "for any communication with on-field personnel including those in the dugout, bullpen or field". You had him here! You weren't communicating, you were scoring the game. Sounds like you had an over zealous ump, hope you won your game :)
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:14 pm

I have not had it come up yet, but the rule also states that no electronic devices are permitted in the dugout or coach's box areas except for scorekeeping purposes. I'm not sure exactly the rule number, but in the NFHS book, it is rule 3.6.10 (Objects, other than scorekeeping materials/devices, in the coach's box are prohibited). Now 3.6.11 may keep people from using an iPhone for using iScore (Electronic communication devices, television monitors and/or replay equipment shall not be used for coaching purposes during the course of the game). Even though the two things are seperate (iPhone is a communication device, and the iScore app is technically being used for coaching purposes), in my opinion as an umpire, it does not violate the spirit of the rule.
CSThunderCoach

Post by CSThunderCoach » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:44 pm

A good rule of thumb is to check with the UIC prior to your game. I've had it come up but I cleared it prior to the start of the tournament so all of the umpires were aware I wanted to use electronic scoring. So far no problems.
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:26 pm

sklamert wrote:Sounds like you had an over zealous ump, hope you won your game :)
Considering that it was a district umpire (who doesn't umpire all that much anymore, his role is mainly to clear up rules issues, protests and make sure that the umpires on the field are acting professionally. We don't always get paid with Little League, but we still have to be professional) I doubt he was overzealous, just rushed, and most likely saw what he thought was an illegal device, and took what action (in his mind) was supposed to be done.